Thursday, January 23, 2020

Ram Dass: Journey of Awakening


Just finished this book from Ram Dass. Compared to the sometimes maddeningly esoteric "Be Here Now"--the book for which he is most famous, "Journey of Awakening: A Meditator's Guidebook" is surprisingly straightforward and wonderfully easy to read. I've been trying to meditate seriously for almost a year now, and while books like "The Mind Illuminated" and going on a Vipassana retreat were transformative,  Ram Dass brings "everything together" in a way I haven't seen in other books that cover meditation.

It's the single best introductory book on meditation I've ever encountered. Ram Dass very succinctly covers the reasons for meditating, how meditating fits in the broader context of life, and provides instructions for different practices.

Thank you Ram Dass for writing this fantastic book! I'm reading my library copy twice, just to make sure I didn't miss anything. I may have to purchase it to keep as a reference.

2 comments:

  1. Sadly my library doesn't have it. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does your library take recommendations? Sometimes I'm able to recommend something and they'll actually buy it within a few days! If not, I would be happy to send you a copy. <3

      Delete