Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Sick

Hacking cough all last night. Looks like I have the flu. My body is aching all over. Have never tried flu shots but am considering it since I see my friend and her infant every so often. It seem this correlated with getting sick more often, since we'll often be surrounded by kids. And a day or twofer seeing her, I've found myself coming down with something. But then I read flu shots only work less than half the time, so don't know if it's worth it.

Spending the day reading Ram Dass's "Be Here Now." I read it a long time ago but didn't understand most of it. After starting a meditation practice last year, I'm more familiar with the concepts now.

Th evening was spent watching Jeopardy Greatest Of All Time. These guys are amazing. The speed at which they answered every question was stunning.

I definitely have lost my ability to recall names these days...I feel like I've forgotten the name of so many celebrities, both past and present. I've reached the age where there are tons of new faces and I have no idea who anybody is.

I don't mind though. I agree with Nietzsche. As he philosophized, happy is she who has a short memory.

I guess I should be in bliss!

I recall(haha) a podcast about people with hyperthymesia--the ability to remember the minutest details of their lives. You could ask them what they were doing at 2pm on July 2, 1983 and they could give you an answer. What struck me is that these people often had a high rate of depression.



2 comments:

  1. Sure hope you are feeling better. They do have meds now for the flu to knock it down quickly. Last year was my first flu shots. Age requires it in my case.
    Had to smile at your take on Jeopardy. That is mine for similar reasons. You will never see an older person on the show. We know the answers, it just takes us longer to dig them out of the memory files.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Patti...I don't know why I'm so stubborn with the flu meds. I like to think I can tough out the aches but after about the 12th hour I gave up and took the pills like a good patient. Immediate relief. Not sure who I was trying to impress by toughing it out!

    ReplyDelete