Thursday, January 2, 2020

Ram Dass RIP

When I was younger Ram Dass was one of those names I'd always been vaguely aware of. We even have a copy of Be Here Now (my husband's), something we've owned for over 20 years. I remember perusing it when I was younger, not quite "getting it" and wondering if my lack of psychedelic drug use was what was keeping me from fully understanding its message.

20 years later I was reintroduced to him via the documentaries "Going Home" (his life in Maui after his stroke) and "Dying to Know"(which covers his history with Timothy Leary.) Older now (though I doubt I'm wiser!) his messages of love and being have much more resonance with me.

Fascinating life and human being.

Last night I watched this interview between him and Ekhart Tolle below. It's fairly long (partly due to the fact Ram speaks slowly now due to his stroke.)

So grateful that so much of his work is preserved in video, book, and of course in the many, many people who have been influenced by his teachings.





2 comments:

  1. A couple of my blog buddies mourned the loss of Ram Dass. I was unfamiliar with him but when I Googled him, I enjoyed his quotes and have his book on hold at the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, Patti! I hope you get something out of his work. To me, hIs main message is love, which I think is the message of all the major religions...it always seems the path is a little different but the end is the same. :) And thanks for checking out my blog.

      Delete